Saturday, February 8, 2014

Thai Peanut Curry Revival

I have found that my posting pattern is "Annually".  That being said; new year, new commitments.  Actually, compared to my last post, I have done fairly well keeping to my 2013 commitment of abstaining from wheat with the exception of a brief period in which a job transfer put me in an area with not one, but TWO Abbey's Pizza restaurants...This was a dark time for me...dark and delicious.  But moving on!  In that time I have accumulated a wealth of new recipes and delights for those looking for deliciousness in a wheat-free world, and I will post these over the course of this weekend,starting with:


Thai Peanut Curry Soup!

It's been a cold winter.  Cold with no snow and after a time the body craves something to warm it to from the bones out.  I actually have never had any type of Curry Soup but being familiar with the flavors and having crossed some savory looking pictures in my recipe hunts I decided this would hit the spot nicely.

  Ingredients:

Peanut oil
Sesame Oil
Coconut Oil
Flour
Curry Powder
Salt
Pepper
Chicken (or meat of choice)
Diced Garlic
Diced Ginger
Diced Chili Pepper (heat to preference)
 Red Curry Paste
Peanut butter
Coconut Milk
Chicken Broth
Carrots
Mushrooms
Green Onions
Chili Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Cilantro
Lemon Juice
Fish Oil
Soy Sauce

So, first disclaimer: I cook from Scratch; a handful of this and a pinch of that. I will see what I can do to translate that into a recipe.  I will use the amounts I made for this batch which I think made about three or four servings.

Take four chicken thighs or two breasts. Cut them up into 1/4"cubes.  Take about a 1/4 cup of flour, (if gluten free do a mixture of almond, sorghum,and or garbanzo.) 1/2 tbsp of Curry powder, 1/2 tsp of salt, and a pinch of pepper.  (I usually taste test.  The flavor should be stronger than what you want)  Toss the chicken and the Flour mixture.

Heat a pot with a tablespoon of Peanut Oil, a Tablespoon of sesame oil, and a Tablespoon of Coconut Oil. Heat at Medium/ medium high (will depend on the heat of your stove).  The oil should be hot, but not smoking.  Throw in the chicken and let it fry for about fiveish minutes till all sides are whitish. Don't worry about cooking it through yet; it will finish cooking as it sits and when mixed with the rest of ingredients. When done remove Chicken

In the same pot, without cleaning it, add oil if needed and toss in 1/2 tsp Red curry paste the diced ginger, garlic and chili peppers. Saute for several minutes before adding a half a cup of the chicken broth and mix in all of the residual oils and flavors.

Reduce heat and mix in about 1/4 cup of Peanut butter and 1/2 cub of Coconut milk...add slowly and stir constantly until blended.  Add several shakes of fish oil and soysauce to taste.

Add about two cups more of broth.  Add one full carrot, quartered and diced, or sever handfuls of mini carrots diceds. Add mushrooms. Add a tablespoon of Curry.  Mix and let simmer for about five minutes.

Add Chicken back to pot.

Add another 1/4 of peanut butter and mix.  Add about 1/4 tsp of chilli powder and pinches of Cayenne to taste.  Add Coconut milk if needed to thicken, or broth to thin.

Dice up Cilantro and Green Onion and add to mixture.

Taste and season to preference; more curry, cayenne, Fish Sauce, Soy Sauce, etc.

Enjoy with Cabbage or Rice or Solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment